Friday, March 4, 2011

New Zealand Rugby

Tonight the Canterbury Crusaders defeated the New South Wales Waratahs in the New Zealand city of Nelson. I am not by any means a fan of Rugby and am probably the last guy you would ask what the difference between the New Zealand Rugby league and the New Zealand Rugby Union, but I know I wanted the Crusaders to win more than any other team I cheer for in the states. I have been keeping in contact with a friend from Christchurch and I just got a message from him simply saying, "our local rugby team won tonight... happy news."

Happy News. Something that Christchurch has heard very little of for the last 10 days.

As Christchurch rebuilds remember her and her people in your thoughts and prayers. There is a long road ahead, but spirits in Christchurch are high tonight.

This past vacation I was able to visit New Zealand. I had a wonderful time and fell in love with that country. Its varying landscapes and twisting roads are unlike anything I have ever seen. I had heard about the sheep and seen the landscape in movies such as Narnia and Lord of the Rings but still was amazed. Rain or shine the sights were breath taking.

The city of Christchurch was remarkable. Although there were swarms of tourists everything was still very kiwi (New Zealand-ie). The traditional architecture had me baffled.

"there are so many churches here." I say in an astonished tone.
"Its called traditional british buildings." says the condescending Canadian. (only joking... kind of)
"oh." I answer sheepishly.

The city of Christchurch was beautiful. It is hard to imagine it being in ruins. Here is a link of some pictures from before and after that my New Zealand friend sent me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments