Saturday, March 19, 2011

Japan Tsunami Reactions from the Northeast of China

Although the China blog world has been more open about their opinions about the earthquake and past feelings of pain and present feelings of appreciation for the way Japan has reacted in the face of such destruction, my students have not volunteered their personal feelings as readily. I am aware of the ultra-nationalistic feelings my students have so I tread on most issues with Japan lightly.

Yet we have got wind of the rumors. There have been a couple rumors that have been going around our area. One has caused a salt shortage in China. Some cities have been forced to rationing the amount of salt sold in stores. This comes from a belief that iodized salt can prevent effects from nuclear radiation. Here are a couple stories translated from the CMP in HK.

I also got a text message from a student warning me not to go outside, wear a mask and beware of toxic rain. hmm.... Well since I am pretty sure I am not close enough to worry I still went outside. I thanked my student for the advice nevertheless. A Beijing blogger had some great comments about these "toxic cloud rumors."

As I think of the pain and hurt I don't what to write. I am glad my friends in Japan are safe but I hurt for those whose friends and family are not. Godspeed to those "Fukiushima 50" and all those who are helping with the relief effort. Japan you have our thoughts and prayers in these dark times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments