Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Madness of March

I am pretty sure the biggest contribution I made to the Central High School Panthers' basketball team was a hole in the wall. I was a overanxious short 5'7" kid who was quick to pick up on "D" and foul out. (3 fouls in under a minute was my record if I recall.) I really do love basketball and I think I have good looking form when I shot... however, the ball rarely went in if I recall most of my high school basketball career. So I will probably be most remembered for the day I got kicked out of practice for attempting a flip off the wall over Sean Deadorff on the new gym wall.

The whole thing was going so well. I got plenty of height on my lift off, Sean was right behind me as I was running. How was I to know the wall was made out of just plaster? My size 12 foot went right through it. On the upside I still made it over Sean with no injury to neither him nor me. The bad news... coach walked in immediately after that. He wasn't too pleased. (did I mention that I may or may not have accidentally kicked a hole in the Library wall messing around with the team earlier that week? Seriously why the thin walls for new school buildings?) So i got kicked out of practice and that is pretty much where my basketball legacy ended. Sure I still played a lot, but I think that was my "highlight" of playing high school basketball.

Which brings me to today, I just started coaching my third men's basketball team in China. Who knew all those drills I did for hours after school would actually come in handy 13 years later? I have been going over plays and of course my Chinese Vocabulary for basketball terms. Go figure that the best website for college term was done by Kansas University. Now lets see if those Jayhawks can live up to their #1 seed this year. So as you follow your brackets for March Madness know that Coach "hole in the wall" Halligan will be running his boys at the wee hours of the morning getting ready for the school wide tourney next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments