Sunday, December 21, 2008

Butter Lamp Festival Is Coming...

In the US we have neighborhoods decorated in lights and we load up our cars get our coffee to go and set out. Usually singing or listening to some sort of Christmas Carol. Well here in Lhasa it isn't quite the same. Okay, well it isn't the same at all. But tonight there is going to be a special light holiday. It is roughly translated Butter Lamp Festival. Although I haven't experienced it before from those who have been here for many years told of the beauty of the lights throughout the city. So I won't load up my car, but rather my bike. Instead of Christmas carols there may be chanting. Yet I know who I will be thinking about this season; that small child who changed the world and showed us what it means to be a light in a dark place.

Empty Stalls - Jokhang
All of the stalls are empty in preparation.

repair crew
Some last minute repairs in preparation for the Butter Lamp Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments