Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Flags


The Flags
Originally uploaded by vanhalligan
13 colonies, 50 states... I remember the US flag lessons that included Betsy Ross and the Star Spangled Banner. Yet here i find myself teaching lessons about not only the US flag but also the Mexican, Spanish, French and of course Chinese flag. As we teach the meanings of the symbols, colors and shapes of the flags we have our students take that knowledge and develop a flag of their own that represents China in their eyes. The results are as varied as one could imagine. The most popular color is of course red, and the most common symbol is a star yet I am always impressed by the creativity year after year.

Now to add a little intrigue we have students (and teachers) vote for the best flags in the class. The top 3 flags will be hung in the foreign teachers' Library. After all the top flags are narrowed down to a top 10, all of the foreign teachers vote on the best one.

The top 10 have been chosen; all that remains is choosing a winner.

I haven't voted yet and I am always up for suggestions. Feel free to tell me which flag you think is the best. I will let you know the final winner very soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments