Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Lost in America

I have now been an American living in America for almost 3 years now. Now longer a foreigner living in a foreign land. My international experiences are now removed yet still present in the way I think  and process.

today i starting back into my exploration of Chinese culture and language. My buddy Lance (not his real Chinese name) and I started coffee and Chinese on sunday afternoon. and now I am realizing I have fallen behind in what's going on in the middle kingdom. So... time for me to jump back in.

Starting watching documentaries and reading the latest books on modern China.

A book that has been especially engaging thus far has been the book entitled China in 10 Words by Yu Hua and translated by Allan H Barr. I realized I have read many books from the western perspective about China but not many from a local view. This book has been refreshing in its tone, truthfulness and ownership of the culture and country which it is describing.

Yu Hua lived through the toughest time in China in the last century. He takes 10 words to describe his experiences which in turn gives the reader (or listener, in my case) a picture of China. So far I have gotten through "The People"人民 "Leader" 领袖 "Reading" 阅读 and now "Writing" 写作.

And the writing struck me. To be a good writer one must write. profound, obvious... so why am I not doing it? So why not get my blog going again? okay. done.

starting it up again, again. lets get better at this writing thing! One blog post at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments