Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Chinese Corner? (Or stories from English Corner pt. 1)

In China I often attended what was called "English Corner." English Corner is a concept that originated and can only be found in China (and online). The story that I found is that a man was reading an English book in Shenyang in Liaoning province when another man noticed and struck up a conversation in English. Since then they decided to meet up each week at the corner and speak in English. Since then "English Corner" has been a regular phenomenon at almost every university in China. There is even a wikipedia article about it.
 At my first university I taught at there was an English corner on the second floor of the main building. As you walked in it the building you did you best to not slip on the marble floor. You were greeted by a large red sign with stylized Chinese characters. Above you was a large chandelier and surrounding the chandelier was the clamoring of the above "English Corner" from the second floor balcony which peered directly over the first floor entrance. And when I say English Corner what I really mean is you read your English speech as loud as you can to yourself while everyone does likewise creating a deifying effect when you enter the area. For learning something that is supposed to be an aid to communication there was very little communication going on. When I or my fellow foreign teachers would visit these English gatherings the atmosphere would change considerably. Instead of seeing who could read louder to themselves the new game was to see who could get the most questions answered by the Wai Jiao (Foreign teacher). These questions rarely varied. I got the usual, "Do you like China?" "Do you like Chinese food?" "Can you use chopsticks" sometimes a bold young man or women would ask if I like Chinese girls or if I thought Chinese girls were beautiful. 

(Side story... Being in my early 20s and single when I first came to China I was often asked about whether I was going to marry a Chinese girl or a western girl to which I would always defer saying something to the effect, "Where they are from isn't as important and what they believe, what their character is like and whether or not we are attracted to each other." I would then go on about the the possible cultural difficulties an American and Chinese couple could pose then take the next opportunity to change the subject. But in this environment I would often be told by my students that I was handsome, usually by the male more than the female because of the cultural desire for girls modesty. But my favorite conversation was from a girl I had later in class I will forever remember. I am still a little confused by it. 

She started out, 
"Mr. Halligan I do not know if you are handsome or not."

I instantly started laughing, and wanted her to elaborate. "Ok..." I said because nothing else seemed appropriate. 

"Well, I hear my classmates say you are very handsome but I really am not sure. You see you are the first foreigner I have met and I really don't have anyone to compare you to."

I am still laughing and overjoyed by her honesty. 

"I mean you are very nice, but I just don't know."She tried to backtrack. 

"Hey, at least you are honest." I assured her.)

As English corners usually ended I found myself thinking, Was that really useful?  What did people get out of that? Well at least they communicated with a foreigner and had the opportunity. Well fast forward 7 or so years I find myself in the US and desiring more Chinese practice. Then I wondered, "Does the US have Chinese Corner?" I could really use a situation if I could ask a Chinese teacher if they liked America, or if they like American food and girls... Then I realized my ridiculous thoughts and figured I'd just call up my buddy Lance from Xi'an and start speaking Chinese with him once a week. More stories to come from those conversations later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments