Friday, April 24, 2009

Sports Weekend 2009

It started with a brand new stadium, hundreds of marching students, and flag salute with several miscues....

That's right my first sports weekend in Tibet University! It was quite an impressive site. I have been part of sports days in the past, but with the new beautiful stadium filled with students and teachers. The beautiful scenic background which has become a normal part of my life I was very impressed.

The first day started out with the usual marching (which included the foreign students marching in their white polos and sweet hats circa 1984) and then moved on to some traditional Tibetan dancing. There were students who danced in yak outfits, traditional clothes, with traditional tibetan guitars knows as a damnyen. It has been ridiculously hot in Lhasa the last week. I can't imagine what it was like for the dancers inside the yak suit.

I started out just showing up to the opening ceremonies. But before i knew it a teacher asked me to take his place in the 100 meters. So I got ready, biked back to my house picked up my shoes and shorts. By the time I got back to the stadium apparently things had changed. So... apparently you have to sign up before the day of the event. And being that I was literally the only white person in the thousands of people still at the stadium ... it would be obvious that I wasn't the Tibetan man who signed up for the event. So later they offered to let me participate in the shot put (yea.. you can stop laughing now) but again they first thought it was okay... but alas, in the end the foreigner couldn't compete.

Today was day two. Today they said I could participate in the 4X100 relay. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high, but I figured I would be willing to help out our department as much as possible. So after a morning of rock climbing with Craig and Sarah I headed back to the stadium. When I arrived, I sat in the teacher's tent ate some peanuts talked with the teachers and deans about some my experiences from Northeast China and American culture. Before I knew it, it was go time. And as far I knew, I was still in the race! So we walked into the stadium and sure enough, I was legit! My team of four practiced a couple hand offs with a water bottle to get the feel and then we were on the track.

All in all it was a great to hang out with the teachers. We ended up getting second in the race (the PE department smoked us!) But getting a chance to feel more a part of our department was worth all the miscues and waiting. So I think I would say sports day 2009 was a success.

Standing Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments