Thursday, October 9, 2008

Earthquake Fever

It's in the air. 5 earthquakes in the last few days has left the city of Lhasa on edge. After our thursday night coffee and cake date four of us took a quick tour around the Jokhang Temple. When we got closer we thought it was unusual to see so many people. Then we got closer and realized what was going on. The Jokhang cora (the circle around the temple) had become a temporary camp site. Half of the town were all camped out all around the temple. People were afraid to sleep inside! (As I write this from my third floor apartment, the place I have no intention of leaving anytime soon.)

As the four of us talked I found out that our students were woken up last night around midnight and were told to sleep outside for their own safety. The girls on the track and the boys on the basketball courts. Then even had teachers stay up to monitor the students all night. Crazy times. At least now I know why my students were so tired today. I am hoping things calm down a little bit but it apparent Lhasa hasn't ever had to deal with earthquakes before. So everyone in the city is a little more cautious these days and getting a lot less sleep.

Well, thinking about sleeping outside is making me tired... so i am off to bed.

1 comment:

Comments