Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Crazy for Siping

After two years teaching on the rooftop of the world and using google's blog I find myself back where I started. Siping, Jilin in what was formally Manchuria. As I reacquaint myself to the city, I am reminded what the city is famous for:

1. da rou bing: meat stuffed in a sort of biscuit. I believe either Mao or Zhou En Lai came through town years ago and said, "it wasn't bad." I need to check on that next time I eat at the restaurant.

2. and a mental institution. To call some one a "Sipingren," (person from Siping) is to call some one crazy. However rumor is the original mental institution was moved to Changchun. So perhaps the reason is gone, but the phrase remains.

So call me crazy but I am back where my China experience started and I am looking forward to discovering the always developing city with fresh eyes and renewed energy to explore the Chinese language and culture of the northeast. Year 7 here we go...

In other news... I am trying to update my xanga page because it is no longer blocked in China... unlike blogspot which is harder to update.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments